Thursday, September 30, 2010

seriouslythoughwhatareyoudoing?



September has been all about love. I've flooded this blog with photos and films and people I love and things that I'm crushing on but I've neglected a little what this blog is really about, not only what I'm seeing and watching and listening to or thinking but what I'm doing. Which, I guess, from here on out is a question I can't really escape from and in hindsight was a great choice for a blog-title that happens to be a challenge to myself to do something. Seriously Grace, what are you doing??

There's a quote that I'm no doubt getting half-wrong but from what I remember it goes something like 'Go to every class, take every opportunity'. Having said that, I'm more than guilty of ditching classes to go to the beach and too often I sleep in instead of going to lectures. Despite this, one thing I've learned this year is that if you want to do something you love, you have to find out what that is, and sometimes in the process you have to do a lot of things you don't know if you'll love, things you may even hate, before you figure out exactly what it is you want to be doing.

It's a little like having relationships, you can't dismiss everybody on the basis that 'when you know you know' or just to hold out for some ideal. Sometimes (though, of course there are exceptions) you need to find out what's out there. In order to find out what I want to be doing (career-wise, job-wise, for-the-rest-of-my-life-wise) I've been interning this year at two very different organisations.

Over the last couple of months interning I've understood more about what I do and do not want to be doing, about what kind of life I want to be living - before I start living it and realise ten years down the track I should of done something else. Even though it can be gruelling I think getting experience and taking control of your own education (in the institutional as well as broader sense) is the only way you'll learn what you want to be doing - even if it means doing something you eventually realise you don't want to. Interning for me has meant I've been able to meet people doing what I may eventually be doing. I've been able to pick their brains and find out what public relations is like from the inside out. Not only that, but it's made me seriously think about what kind of PR, if any, I want to be doing - and if working in that industry is something I genuinely want to do.

There are a lot of things people waste their time on, I can name too many off the top of my head that I let take my time, but internships - and finding out more about what your future will look like is definitely not one of them.

What to you want to do, really? 

Let me know, I'm currently seeking an alternate life path (see: ice-cream taster, professional clown, leprechaun-impersonator etc. :p ) but on a serious note I'm keen to share in some dreaming! Say it aloud and share it with me, you know you want to!

2 comments:

  1. the bucketlist that i've made on my blog is always keeping me out going and wanting to travel a lot and has made me realize to not rush into settling in but slow down in life. ever since I've made the list and read/watched INTO THE WILD(which you should read and watch also), i've realized i don't want to go to university for a few months after i graduate high school. maybe that will help you, I hope it does :)

    ReplyDelete