Tuesday, September 21, 2010

yougottahaveambition

 1. Joaquin Phoenix 2. Dakota Fanning 3. Meryl Streep 4. Martin Luther King

As a university student and a twenty-something I often get asked 'what are you doing?' or 'what are you going to do?' and 'what have you done so far?' It's easy, especially when you don't know the answers to any of the above questions, to get a little scared, to get a lot discouraged. But one of the things I think keeps coming back to me is ambition

It's something I admire a lot in other people, that I admire sometimes to the point of envy. Where do they get that passion, where do they get that drive? It's really easy to get caught up in somebody elses' purpose because you don't know what your own is, because you haven't found it yet. It's really hard to tell the world to shove it where the sun don't shine and be awesome your own way instead. 

The people in my pictures are people I admire for their ambition, their focus, their drive and their determination. Joaquin Phoenix for the fact he dedicated a year of his life to method-acting a character, Dakota Fanning & Meryl Streep for their discipline and focus in producing a mass of films without the scandal and tag of celebrity and Martin Luther King for his visionary ambition that has stretched on for eternity, into reality. It's this quality in other people that's helped me make my own decisions in terms of what kind of work I want to be doing, and what kind of person I don't want to be. The best advice I ever got was to find what you like doing and find a way to make it what you're doing.

What's your hidden ambition? What do you want to do? What's stopping you?

[Lo siento si mi gramatica es incorrecto!] Como una estudiante universitaria y un veinte-algo muchas veces me preguntan '¿qué estás haciendo?'o '¿qué estarás hacer?' y '¿qué hiciste?' Es fácil, especialmente cuando no sabe las respuestas, para tener un poco miedo. Pero una cosa que me sigue volviendo a la ambición. 

Es una cosa que admiro mucho en otras personas, que admiro a veces hasta el punto de la envidia. ¿De dónde sacan su pasión? Es demasiado fácil a olvidar sus propias ambiciones, su propósito real… tal vez porque no todavía la ha buscado. Es muy difícil a decirle al mundo que van a hacer su propia cosa, y no lo que el mundo quiere de ti.

La gente en mis fotos admiro por su ambición, su enfoque y su determinación. Joaquin Phoenix por el facto que él dedico un ano de su vida a un carácter, Dakota Fanning & Meryl Streep por su disciplina y el foco en la producción de una masa de películas sin el escándalo y la etiqueta de la celebridad y Martin Luther King por su ambición visionaria que se extendia por toda la eternidad. Es esta cualidad en otras personas que me ayudó a tomar mis propias decisiones en cuanto a que tipo de trabajo que quiero ser. El mejor consejo que he recibido fue para encontrar lo que te gusta hacer y encontrar una manera de hacer que lo que estás haciendo.

8 comments:

  1. Buen post, muy cierto todo!!

    http://makingfashionnotwar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. grace. I feel the same. I don't know what my ambition is. I say these things I want to do... but I feel that I NEVER do them. its easy to imagine but not to pursue. :( HELP sis!

    xoxo Baz

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh fancy indeed!
    what a delightful post!
    splendid! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo también los admiro a todos, pero en especial Joaquin Phoenix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey girl!:)

    I thought that myself aswell.. great find:) i love how the video portrays these people! and the music tops it off.. it made me giggle:) lovely post girl.. very good thinking;) 'what's your ambition'..

    xx

    Cyliaaaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all of you guys - I'm glad you liked the post, I liked writing it too! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear, i love this post because it resonates so well to other people ie me included. i almost never think i have any "drive" just things i reckon i'd like to do more than other things. lost isn't it?

    and thank you for your lovely comment..

    ReplyDelete