Monday, November 1, 2010

Because you can

'That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going'


Forrest Gump

I recently participated in a 24-hour Relay for Life that was raising funds and awareness for the Cancer Council here in Australia.  Each team had to have one person on the track at one time. The first lap was walked by Cancer survivors and their carers, many of whom walked the track for the rest of the day. It was an experience that really was unique and humbling.

While I was walking along the track I noticed there was an older man in short shorts and a running top who had lapped me quite a few times already. My brother spoke to him and found out he was about fifty years old and had been running marathons for years. He trains and runs at least 100kms a week, depending on how he's feeling. He wasn't a big man, probably not much taller than me. And yet he was an absolute giant on the tracks. What a guy! There was another guy from the State Emergency Services who walked for the entire 24 hours straight. He wasn't the most fit, he definitely wasn't the youngest but he was an absolute hero - I'm pretty sure everybody there knew how hard it was to even relay for a couple of hours, let alone the entire stretch.

Still amazes me what people can do, what people despite everything that stands in their way. Talkin' bout inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. naww grace.
    yeaa the whole time i was walking i didnt want to stop even when i was left alone but i saw that old guy running and it amazed me at what hope he brought to everyone who watched him..and then when his song joined him, he clearly looked exhausted yet he still kept running rounds with his dad..that makes me aspire to walk if not 24 hours than 12 hours next year! but really. that man is a hero!
    i heard he ran 150 rounds that night.. 150x400 woahh amazing!

    indeed INSPIRING!

    ps grace i love ur blog..its such an eye opener to me :) <3

    ReplyDelete