Sunday, November 7, 2010

Diana

 
Diana

I remember being seven years old when Princess Diana died. I was watching the news on the television while my aunties and parents chatted in the lounge room. Not really knowing who exactly Princess Diana was or what it meant, I went to the room breaking the news with the air of announcing I was hungry or I had finished my homework. My aunty looked at me confused and asked, irritated, what I was talking about. I led them to the television where nobody could really believe it still.

That was over ten years ago now and I can still remember it so clearly. It's strange to think about what you were doing, how you found out, where you were when big things happen - moments that will go down in history as changing the world. It's strange to think my parents lived through the turbulence of the seventies, heard Michael Jackson on the radio when he first got big, watched the news when John Lennon was assassinated or the protest of the Vietnam war. Our generation has had big moments too. And the strange thing is, they're still happening. And one day we'll look back and wonder what we did and who we were and where we were when something happened.. which, now, may be just around the corner.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog makes me think too much, Grace. Funny you used Princess Diana as an example actually, because from time to time I think about the moment I first found out about her death too; my memory is as vivid as yours.

    Anyway errr.. don't really know what I'm trying to say but just thought I'd leave a comment because I know you like them :) xx Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahhaa why thankyou Vanna banana :)

    ReplyDelete