Monday, November 15, 2010

Why first days are harder than lasts



Photo from Champagne & Sequins

The last days you do something are always more memorable than the 'firsts'. At least in my experience. The first days have all the pressure of expectation, the last days come with a sigh of relief - a breath of fresh air. The last day on a job, my last day as an intern, my last HSC exam, my last day of high school - and most recently my last university day in Sydney this year, and for a year - before I jet off to live in Spain. Finishing always comes with a sense of accomplishment, a smiling weary face.


At the same time it gives you cause to look back and to remember before you push on. The last three years of uni have been interesting - at times I've wanted to change degrees, drop out, pack my bags and leave. At other times I've met great people, made a lot of memories, joined a sports club and traveled to Melbourne, Gold Coast, Bathurst and Coffs Harbour. There's less than two months till the last day of 2011 and I'm so lucky to say I'll be spending it with a good friend in Darwin doing something I never knew I always wanted to do. I'm terrified and excited; that probably sums up how I'll be spending the whole of next year. Terrified and excited.


While there have already been a lot of lasts there are going to be a lot of firsts. The first time I've moved out of home. The first time I've been to Spain and I'm sure a long list of rude awakenings. But for now, I have to get through to the rest of the 'lasts' for this year. Gearing up for a whole bunch of new adventures. The reality of getting ready to go leave everything I've known hasn't set in yet - it hasn't hit me that next year I won't be able to drop in at my best friends house to have coffee, because she'll be on the other side of the world. I won't be able to drive down to the shops. I won't be able to see my family and ask them how their day was over dinner. When I start to think about not coming home to my own room, my own home I must admit I break out into all sorts of mini panic attacks.. but like everything thats worthwhile, it has to scare you shitless first. So here's to the my last couple of months in Australia, and to all the firsts - the shiny, new everything!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post and...Spain is wonderful :) so enjoy!


    http://makingfashionnotwar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete