Monday, November 8, 2010

Number 3: Write a Novel

Gotta use words

As I have a tendency to throw myself into things, this November I'll be participating in Nano Wrimo November novel-writing month. I signed up for it early in the year and the date has been slowly creeping up between university assignments and internships. Basically, you write at least 50,000 words (the minimum word count to be classified as a novel) between the 1st and 30th of November.

This goes straight to my bucket list - to write a novel. This is going to require me to write at least a thousand words a day, fourteen-hundred if I want to make it to 50,000 (which I do!). So far I've written about 9,000 amount of words, though I have to say I did cheat a little bit and since I signed up for Nano-Wrimo months ago I have been working on an outline and have written about 10,000 words on the novel. To comply with the rules I'll be starting from zero (but will eventually add whatever I write to my overall novel later on). The plan is not to write a best-seller, a literary classic or the next, 'Eat, Pray, Love' but the point is purely to write. Even if it doesn't make sense, especially if it doesn't make sense. And even if it's not worth the paper I'm writing on the plan is to keep writing anyway.

It's necessary preparation for next year when I plan on getting some serious travel writing done. Armed with hundreds of hours watching National Geographic Adventure travel shows, trawling through countless travel blogs of photographs and videos, campaigns and articles - I'll be taking off on my own adventure and hopefully my own writing. What's become apparent to be lately is that while travelling is always something I've wanted to do - there are many different ways you can travel - there's organised travel, backpacking, wandering, speed travelling, adventure travelling, luxury travelling, travel-hacking - just to name a few. Whatever the case, travelling - when it's over leaves a deep impression, and often a big hole. (cue post-europe-depression etc.) I want to be able to record through photographs, videos and words - all that I'm experiencing and learning so that when my year is over -I'll have something to show for it.

Though, I should probably go... there's a novel that needs writing. EEK!

1 comment: