Wednesday, December 1, 2010

On being yourself (because everyone else is taken)

Garden State - Natalie Portman & Zach Braff

"This is your one opportunity to do something that no one has ever done before and that no one will copy throughout human existence. And if nothing else, you will be remembered as the one guy who ever did this. This one thing."


If there's one thing I know for sure it's that there's nothing better somebody can offer the world than what they already have and who they actually are. No two people are the same and I honestly believe everybody has something to bring to the table, something to contribute in their own unique way. The good thing about differences is that they help bridge the gaps in our own vision, the blind spots we can't see ourselves. 

I've spent the better part of high school and even some of university figuring this truth out. That you shouldn't ever think you have to be somebody else to be as awesome as they are. Everybody is talented and unique in their own right and being a cheap imitation of somebody else never got anybody very far. Like Natalie Portman says, there's this 'one thing' that you can give that nobody else out there can. Figure out what it is, and run with it. The easy way out is copying somebody that's already admired by other people, instead of forging forward with somebody you are.

Sometimes, what gets me through the day when self-doubt creeps in, is realising that I could have a normal life if I wanted to, I could do things that other people do and take the path that I've been told I should. But why would I want to succeed in this idea other people have of who I should be - when there's a much better, alternative choose-your-own-ending that has a lot more action, fireworks and unexpected adventures than the pre-fabricated storyline that I already know the ending to? The answer is there's no reason. Life is more like a goosebumps novel, with a choose your own adventure section - make it what you will, just make sure its yours! 

2 comments:

  1. I am adoring this post. First, because Garden State is such an awesome film and second because your passion for "being yourself" really comes through in your writing. I couldn't agree more--writing your own story and choosing your own ending will make life that much more of an adventure. You seem to have so much ahead of you and I look forward to seeing more fabulous posts!! Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiffany! It means a lot :) Garden State really is such a great movie, awesome soundtrack too.. So glad you decided to drop a comment it always motivates me to write more and helps to kind of re-affirm what I'm doing and what I want to be doing, cheers !

    ReplyDelete