Wednesday, September 4, 2013

All of the Good Byes

When you live in a place where people come to volunteer or travel or visit sometimes it feels like all you ever do is say good bye. Every good bye turns into a 'see you later', a softer parting full of hope that wipes away the cynical thought that maybe you'll never see each other again. Though the possibility is still there, maybe you'll never see each other again. Even the dim wish of a few years time can feel like never. So you just give thanks because that's all you can do. That's all you should do, and remember that despite the odds it's never 'adios', always 'hasta luego'.

Part of me thinks that I should
freeze the way you make me feel
and store it up for when it's no longer in season
When I can't find it in the produce section
in the supermarket and
when I'm choking on the foreign
air of a distant city

Part of me thinks that I should
freeze the way you make me feel but
will I be preserving anything more
than the taste of a ticking clock?

I want you
and your impossible, rare flavour
I have made a lover of planning
I resent the word 'time'
(Now that it is preceded by: we just
met at the wrong)

Don't you
You and your impossible, rare flavour
find it interesting that,
after a lifetime of timing
your hand found my waist
and my watch stopped?

from here

No comments:

Post a Comment